Research Associate Position: Pervasive Real-World Computing for Sustainability (SuPerWorld) Multidisciplinary Research Group
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies – RISE (www.rise.org.cy), empowers knowledge and technology transfer in the region. RISE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus.
RISE, as a centre of excellence, cultivates a culture of innovation and creativity in an inspiring environment filled with academics, researchers, creative and onward-looking people, innovators, entrepreneurs and practitioners. The centre operates under the moto “Inspired by Humans Designed for Humans” with the vision to produce world class research that drives innovation towards social and economic benefit while conducting excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence.
SuPerWorld Research Group
The SuPerWorld Research Group involves technology in pervasive computing, which touches upon research that focuses on the real world towards (contributing in) making it more sustainable. As “real world”, we refer to humans, animals and plants, as well as to the physical and urban environment. As “pervasive computing”, we refer to sensing infrastructures and equipment that measure the real world, including the sensing capabilities of modern mobile phones. An important goal would be to enable pervasive eco-systems by means of “Internet of Things” (IoT) and “Web of Things” (WoT) protocols and principles, towards common understanding and semantics of real-world services and data, and high interoperability among systems and infrastructures. To find out more about the work and people of SuPerWorld follow the links:
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct fundamental and/or applied research in the group’s areas of expertise, including geospatial analysis, satellite imagery analysis and/or computer vision. The position holder will also participate in the preparation of research proposals for funding, project reports and deliverables; and travel abroad for dissemination activities. Furthermore, position holders should publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals and contribute to the research centre’s key performance indicators. The successful candidate will work under the supervision and guidance of the SuPerWorld Research Group Leader, Dr Andreas Kamilaris
- BSc degree in Computer Science or in an area/field related to Geo-information Science and Earth Observation from an accredited institution.
- MSc Degree from an accredited institution. Specialization in data analysis, probabilistic modelling and/or geographical systems is welcome. Exceptional candidates holding a BSc may also be considered.
- Good coding skills (e.g. Python, Java) is important
- Knowledge of GIS tools is another plus (e.g. ESRI ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Confidence in mathematics (e.g., linear algebra, probabilistic methods)
- Proven experience with ML/DL frameworks (e.g. PyTorch, Keras)
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, and excellent problem-solving skills
- Prior publications in the area are desirable but not essential
- Excellent knowledge of both spoken and written English language
* PhD holders are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
Profile of the ideal candidate
- Committed to high-quality researching and eager to learn
- Problem-solving and creativity skills
- Team player who can effectively collaborate with diverse internal stakeholders
- Ability to work independently (and as part of a team) to meet deadlines, plan and set priorities and monitor progress
A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates according to qualifications and experience, including membership to the RISE Provident Fund. Flexible and friendly work environment with opportunities for professional and personal development.
For full consideration, interested candidates should submit the following items via email
and use the Email subject line: "Application: Research Associate SuPerWorld"
- A cover letter which clearly specifies (i) employment availability date, (ii) part-time and/or full-time availability and (iii) rationale on why you think you would be a good fit for the SuPerWorld Research Group. This should include a description of academic and research experience as well as any relevant industrial experience where applicable (1,000 words maximum).
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Copies of degree certificates (BSc/MSc), plus PhD degree for PhD holders.
- Two representative publications (if applicable).
- Contact details of two referees, either two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee. References will only be requested for short-listed candidates.
- For PhD holders only: One-page motivation letter describing a suggested research plan and specific areas of interest for postdoc research work.
Note that if you previously applied for a post at RISE, a new application is required.
Tuesday, June 30th
Review of applications will begin after the application deadline.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies at email@example.com
The applicants may address any technical or research-related inquiries to Dr Andreas Kamilaris
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence