PhD Fellowships - RISE Doctoral Training Program
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies (RISE), as part of the RISE Doctoral Training Program announces eight (8) PhD Fellowships under various Multidisciplinary Research Groups (MRGs).
RISE is an equal opportunity employer. The positions are open to nationals of all EU and non-EU countries.
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies – RISE (www.rise.org.cy) is a newly founded research centre of excellence in Nicosia, Cyprus. RISE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck Institute, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus.
The research focus of RISE is on interactive media and it conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence in a tight synergy that provides an unique interdisciplinary research perspective emphasising an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. RISE engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship. RISE is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fuelling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe. For more information about RISE, please visit www.rise.org.cy
Overview of RISE’s Doctoral Training Program
RISE’s Doctoral Training Program (DTP) kicked off in 2019 providing the best possible experience of impactful collaboration, following best practices from across Europe. RISE’s DTP is a far more valuable and engaging experience compared to working only with an individual supervisor or a small group in a University. The RISE DTP experience provides a collaborative cohort environment, in addition to offering a wide range of projects, research and innovation activities and training opportunities fostering knowledge transfer and student engagement with the wider community and the partner institutions.
RISE’s DTP includes an in-house program for supporting and guiding PhD students who will be registered at a University of the RISE consortium (University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology or Open University of Cyprus). The in-house program allows students to participate in scientific colloquia, research presentations, mobility activities and visits, joint supervision of PhDs, and joint projects organized in collaboration with RISE’s advanced partners (UCL and Max Planck) and other members of its developing network. RISE will also facilitate the development and innovation of research ideas and outcomes and provide mentoring opportunities (e.g., peer feedback, guidance by senior researchers).
Indicative list of DTP courses:
- Project Management
- Innovation, Entrepreneurial and Intrapreneurial skills for Research Engineers
- Product from Concept to Market
- IP Protection Workshop: Key IP, commercialization, methods for Higher Education: licensing, spin-ins and spin-outs
- Research Methods and Research Ethics
- Science communication and dissemination
- Other seminars
RISE DTP will aim to provide a direct link to the advanced partners via short-term placements at their premises. RISE DTP will support PhD students’ participation in conferences and study visits at established research centres across Europe.
RISE will award a certificate for the participation in the RISE DTP program.
RISE DTP PhD Fellowships - 2020
In the academic year 2020-2021, as part of its Doctoral Training Program, RISE will offer up to eight (8) PhD fellowships to eligible candidates.
Fellowships will be for up to 3 years, during which candidates are expected to complete their PhD. The fellowship covers: (1) full-time employment at RISE including a generous salary and benefits, (2) annual tuition coverage for the host university, (3) placement expenses at the external partner university.
- Registration at one of the local partner Universities of Cyprus (i.e., Host University), under the supervision of a RISE academic. Note: PhD students have to adhere to the doctoral program’s expectations and examination procedures of the host university. RISE will not interfere with the PhD requirements of the host university. The PhD degree will be awarded by the Host University.
- Dedicating 70-90% of the time at the RISE Centre and 10-30% at the external partners. Note: RISE will cover the placement costs at the external partners.
- Completion of a minimum of 4 in-house program courses/seminars offered by RISE’s DTP, preferably during the first 2 years of the program. Note: These courses may count towards the course requirements of the PhD program at the Host University, providing the Host University/Department agrees.
- Engagement in year-round communication and dissemination activities of RISE (e.g. poster days, industry events)
Failure to adhere to RISE’s DTP requirements, may result in the discontinuation of the fellowship.
Applicants must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in the area of concentration
- A Master’s degree (MA/MSc) in the area of concentration
- A proven record of high achievement
- A PhD thesis proposal centred on the topic of interest from the composed list of RISE topics.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and verbal)
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
Interested candidates should submit the following items via email to email@example.com
and use the Email subject line “Application: RISE DTP PhD Fellowship 2020”
- The selected topic (one application per topic, max 2 topics per applicant).
- Full and updated CV
- Complete transcripts of all previous studies
- English language proficiency certificate
- A letter of interest or statement of purpose describing 1) previous work performed in the topic under study 2) why the candidate wishes to undertake the specific studies (1000 words max)
- A PhD thesis proposal centred on the topic of interest including initial research objectives (1000 words max). Note: A different application must be submitted for each topic of interest with a maximum of 2 applications per candidate.
- Names and contact information of two academic referees. Note: Referees will be contacted (by RISE) only for shortlisted candidates.
Extended application deadline: Monday, April 20th, 2020.
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies at firstname.lastname@example.org
The applicants may address any technical or research related inquiries to email@example.com
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.