Maker Space Technician
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies – RISE (www.rise.org.cy), empowers knowledge and technology transfer in the region. RISE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus.
RISE, as a centre of excellence, cultivates a culture of innovation and creativity in an inspiring environment filled with academics, researchers, creative and onward-looking people, innovators, entrepreneurs, and practitioners. The centre operates under the moto “Inspired by Humans Designed for Humans” with the vision to produce world class research that drives innovation towards social and economic benefit while conducting excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence.
The Centre is seeking two Maker Space Technicians to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals. The successful candidate will play an integral role in ensuring the smooth running of the newly established Maker Space of RISE Ltd, the operation of which may be co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) of the EU in the framework of the Operational Programme “Competitiveness and Sustainable Development 2014-2020”, Priority Axis 6: “Integrated Sustainable Urban Development for the Programming Period 2014-2020 and in the framework of the implementation of the Integrated Development Strategy of Nicosia Municipality.
Duties & Responsibilities of Maker Space Technician
- To teach induction classes on safe operation of Maker Space tools and equipment to members age 12 to senior adult in both one-on-one and group teaching scenarios
- To conduct tours of the Maker Space to potential visitors
- To organize and teach technically specialized workshops on how to operate and use the equipment and materials available
- To monitor the Maker Space ensuring a safe work environment adherent to the Centre’s Health and Safety program including maintenance and cleanliness of the space and equipment, and the proper usage of tools.
- Monitor the usage of consumables and prepare orders accordingly
- To assist members of varied experience levels with their projects including production techniques, tool selection, proper tool usage, and selection of appropriate materials
Desired Qualifications & Requirements
- Demonstrated successful completion of maker projects
- Knowledge and experience in digital fabrication (e.g., 3D printing, laser cutting, CNC milling, 3D modelling, CAD programs, scanning or modelling software)
- Knowledge and experience in the following will be considered an advantage:
- Arduino, and Raspberry Pi
- Photography, drones
- Pottery, mold making and casting
- Ability to determine cause of software problems and resolve or refer for maintenance and repair
- Teaching/group demonstration experience (formal or informal) and experience working with children
- Experience providing individual/small group instruction and ability to offer advice to and work closely with Maker Space members/users
- Fluent in English (written and spoken). Knowledge of Greek will be considered an advantage.
Profile of the ideal candidate
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Dynamic, trustworthy and committed
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines, plan and set priorities and monitor progress
- Ability to effectively collaborate with diverse internal and external stakeholders
Interested candidates should submit the following items via email to email@example.com and use the Email subject line: "Application: Maker Space Technician":
- Cover letter which clearly states: (a) how you envision your role, (b) how your experience and qualifications match the specific position, and (c) the availability date for full-time employment
- Full CV (including contact details)
- Portfolio (in pdf format) and/or link to a digital platform showcasing your work (e.g., website)
Application Deadline: Friday, June 26, 2020.
In case you previously applied for a post at RISE, a new application is required.
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies at firstname.lastname@example.org
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
The project may be co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) of the EU in the framework of the Operational Programme “Competitiveness and Sustainable Development 2014-2020”, Priority Axis 6: “Integrated Sustainable Urban Development for the Programming Period 2014-2020" and in the framework of the implementation of the Integrated Development Strategy of Nicosia Municipality.