Maker Space Manager
Preferred Start Date:
Between July 2020 – August 2020
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies – RISE (www.rise.org.cy), empowers knowledge and technology transfer in the region. RISE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus.
RISE, as a centre of excellence, cultivates a culture of innovation and creativity in an inspiring environment filled with academics, researchers, creative and onward-looking people, innovators, entrepreneurs and practitioners. The centre operates under the moto “Inspired by Humans Designed for Humans” with the vision to produce world class research that drives innovation towards social and economic benefit while conducting excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence.
The Centre is seeking a Maker Space Manager to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals. The successful candidate will play an integral role in running the newly established Maker Space of RISE Ltd, the operation of which may be co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) of the EU in the framework of the Operational Programme “Competitiveness and Sustainable Development 2014-2020”, Priority Axis 6: “Integrated Sustainable Urban Development for the Programming Period 2014-2020", and in the framework of the implementation of the Integrated Development Strategy of Nicosia Municipality.
Duties & Responsibilities of Maker Space Manager
- To define the artistic and technical direction of the space in collaboration with the CIO
- To participate in the selection of new staff and arrange that the staff receives the necessary training on new methods and techniques
- To manage the daily operation, maintenance, setup and organization of the Maker Space
- To guide, supervise, and manage the performance of the Maker Space Staff
- To oversee the design and implementation of induction classes on safe operation of Maker Space tools to members age 12 to senior adult in both one-on-one and group teaching scenarios
- To oversee the design (or, when needed design) and implement workshops on specialized topics to members age 12 to senior adult in both one-on-one and group teaching scenarios
- To monitor the usage of consumables and approve orders accordingly
- To ensure the Maker Space is a safe work environment adherent to the Centre’s Health and Safety program including the proper usage of tools and maintenance of the equipment
- To oversee Maker Space Technicians while assisting visitors with their projects including production techniques, tool selection, proper tool usage, selection of appropriate materials
- Design and employ new activities in the Maker Space in accordance with the overall goals and objectives of RISE
- To participate in the selection of visiting artists, makers, and invited speakers and oversee the overall communication and planning of their visits.
Desired Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Design, Computer/Mechanical Engineering, Multimedia, Visual Arts, Product Design). A Master’s degree considered an advantage.
- Prior experience at a Maker Space is required
- Experience in operating and/or using Maker Space equipment and materials
- Experience in designing and/or teaching relevant courses (e.g., workshops, trainings, classes)
- Ability to design, organize and implement workshops to meet the needs of members/users
- Solid understanding of the creation process (from idea to product) using software, equipment, and materials
- Fluent in English and Greek (written and spoken)
Profile of the ideal candidate
- Experience in managing a team
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Dynamic, trustworthy and committed
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines, plan, set team priorities and monitor team’s progress
- Ability to effectively collaborate with diverse internal and external stakeholders
For full consideration interested candidates should submit the following items via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and use the Email subject line: “Application: Maker Space Manager”:
- Cover letter which clearly states: (a) how you envision your role, (b) how your experience and qualifications match the specific position, and (c) the availability date for full-time employment
- Full CV (including contact details)
- Portfolio (in pdf format) and/or link to a digital platform showcasing your work (e.g., website)
Application Deadline: Friday, June 26, 2020.
In case you previously applied for a post at RISE, a new application is required.
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies at email@example.com
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
The project may be co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) of the EU in the framework of the Operational Programme “Competitiveness and Sustainable Development 2014-2020”, Priority Axis 6: “Integrated Sustainable Urban Development for the Programming Period 2014-2020" and in the framework of the implementation of the Integrated Development Strategy of Nicosia Municipality.