Chief Innovation Officer
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies – RISE (www.rise.org.cy), empowers knowledge and technology transfer in the region. RISE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus.
RISE, as a centre of excellence, cultivates a culture of innovation and creativity in an inspiring environment filled with academics, researchers, creative and onward-looking people, innovators, entrepreneurs, and practitioners. The centre operates under the moto “Inspired by Humans Designed for Humans” with the vision to produce world class research that drives innovation towards social and economic benefit while conducting excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence.
The Chief Innovation Officer (CIO) will lead a dynamic and agile team comprising the Innovation department of the growing RISE Centre of Excellence (CoE). This team’s primary role is to facilitate and accelerate the Economic and Social Impact of the activities of RISE (principally research).
Experienced in all facets of strategy, innovation, value proposition and use case identification, along with knowledge of solution design, product development and business growth, the successful applicant will be a seasoned leader who has cultivated teams across multiple industry disciplines and managed dynamic teams in fast-paced environments.
At a strategic level, the CIO will be charged with the developing and overseeing the execution of the Strategic Innovation plan of RISE in order to achieve and sustained development, economic & social impact and business growth.
Appropriate measures of success will be collaboratively determined based on the centres strategic plan and sustainability targets; these will be revised periodically with the Centre’s Leadership Team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The CIO is expected to:
- Lead the Innovation Department working towards the organization-wide strategy development, mission achievement, promoting a healthy organization in all aspects, and fostering cross-Departmental collaboration.
- Work closely and cooperatively with the rest of the leadership team of RISE and ensures that issues are dealt with constructively
Drive New Growth and Development Opportunities
- Identify, develop, promote and execute high-impact innovation strategy and roadmap aligned to strategic research impact and business goals and development and growth priorities.
- Be aware of all activities across the RISE CoE identifying opportunities for economic and social impact development, including industry engagement and business generation in-line with the centres sustainability goals.
- Actively identifying and developing new opportunities to facilitate such related activities, including the use of novel approaches, and identifying innovative approaches from across the international technology transfer and research impact ecosystem.
- Work closely with the research teams to create viable industry engagement strategies, technology transfer strategies leading to business models and commercialization strategies for mature innovations.
Build and Grow RISE’s Innovation and Impact Capabilities
- Develop and maintain strong ties with teams across RISE; educate and train teams on new approaches to innovation, including industrial engagement in research and entrepreneurship; drive innovation and research impact, develop and oversee the curation of presentations and innovation sessions.
- Oversee the strategic growth of a large international portfolio of Industrial partners, with high relevance to the research and activities of RISE.
- Oversee the development and deployment of a thorough process for managing and developing RISE’s portfolio of partners.
- Develop, review and operate an institutional offering, providing a set of well understood mechanisms for industrial engagement with the research centre.
- Educate and provide necessary support for new innovators in the Centre and lead by example.
- Instil a Centre wide drive for Innovation and Research Impact, helping to create a research centre in which industrial challenges and industrially relevant research is symbiotically at the heart of all activities.
- Empower all members of the Centre to champion and undertake Innovation Impact activities.
- Responsible for organising regular planning and review meetings with internal members of staff, industrial contacts. Through these activities the CIO will promote excellence in industrial relations across the centre.
- Establish company as a recognized innovation leader among customer and industry groups to build brand and attract and retain talent.
- Contribute to creating a high profile of the departments in national, EU and international arenas via demonstration of the centres positive impact and value proposition in several sectors.
Profile of the ideal candidate
Required Qualifications, Characteristics, and Experience:
Ideal candidates for the position should be conspicuously passionate about RISE’s mission; poised and confident with executive presence; manifest leadership, professionalism, and interpersonal acumen. All candidates are expected to be capable of serving as a trusted advisor in the area of thought leadership, standards, professional learning and research and evaluation. Ideal candidates will possess an innovative and progressive nature and have a demonstrated track record of entrepreneurship.
Ideal candidates will have the following:
- Doctorate or Master’s degree, and extensive experience, preferably in technology or technology management. An MBA would be of advantage.
- A minimum of ten years of postgraduate relevant experience in innovation, technology and/or solutions development.
- A minimum of five years executive level experience in a dynamic and fast paced environment. This could be within technology-transfer environments, higher education & research, high growth SME sector, or Large Organizations.
- Deep understanding of significant aspects of technologies, business models, and regulations relevant for the Centre’s focus areas.
- Demonstrated success in defining a culture of innovation and driving growth through new revenue sources.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and bringing-to-market of programs and services within the context of sustainable business models that both fulfil mission and drive net revenue.
- Proven track record in IPR portfolio development and management and spin-offs.
Additional Qualifications, Experience, Skills, & Knowledge:
- A level of knowledge generally acquired by postgraduate academic study and/or professional commercial experience (preferred).
- Strategic leadership and experience of working in industry and/or interdisciplinary academic units.
- Excellent interdisciplinary knowledge of digital technologies relevant to RISE.
- Experience of industrial research, innovation and/or development project including an understanding of the environment and ecosystem.
- Experience of tools and mechanisms to facilitate knowledge exchange and commercialisation. such as contractual requirements, collaboration agreements, and intellectual property.
- Demonstrable experience of effective budgetary management and control.
- Proven success in business planning and in the development and effective implementation of corporate aims and objectives.
- Innovative approach ideally learned in a fast-moving corporate environment.
- Proven and excellent sales/business development and marketing skills.
- Outstanding knowledge of spoken and written English. Knowledge of spoken Greek is essential.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise with staff at a range of levels internal and external to the organization.
- Excellent ICT skills (software engineering, spreadsheets, databases, project management software, social media, etc.).
- Ability to organise and prioritise a varied and demanding workload using methodological approaches and paying close attention to detail.
- Ability to demonstrate effective negotiation skills to work with and through others.
- Record of successful line management and development of staff with proven team leadership and motivational skills.
- Ability to present at Board level and to handle media and press.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, managing projects, prioritising tasks effectively and having excellent time management skills.
- Commitment to equal opportunities and the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and associates of all cultures and background.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion and display a professional attitude towards colleagues, associates and others.
- A commitment to continuous professional development activities to keep knowledge base and skills up-to-date, and to develop them further.
- Promote RISE’s values and objectives to colleagues and externally to RISE.
A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience. Membership to RISE Provident Fund Scheme.
For full consideration interested candidates should submit the following items via email
and use the Email subject line “Application: CIO”
- Cover letter which clearly specifies availability date for full time employment.
- CV (including contact details and complete list of publications if any).
- A document (2-3 pages) focusing on RISE which outlines:
- Your views around Social and Economic Impact along with Innovation in the context of a Research and innovation Center, including its contribution in creating a sustainable environment.
- A document (3-5 pages) on the topic:
- Co-shaping the future in a Quadruple Helix Innovation System - Participatory Research and Innovation towards reshaping the Cyprus realities.
- Copies of degree certificates (e.g., BSc, MSc., PhD). True copies of the originals will be requested for the shortlisted candidates.
- Contact details of three referees, preferably authorized representatives of previous employers. References will only be requested for short-listed candidates.
Note that if you previously applied for a post at RISE, a new application is required.
Deadline: Friday, July 31, 2020.
Review of applications will begin shortly after the application deadline.
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies at firstname.lastname@example.org
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.