Deadline: 18 October. 2019
Location: Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies, Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: A one-year employment contract with an option to renew based on performance, includes a very attractive remuneration package according to qualifications and experience
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies – RISE (www.rise.org.cy) is a newly founded research centre of excellence in Nicosia, Cyprus. RISE is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus.
The Virtual Reality for Well-being MRG (VR WELL-BEING MRG) will target research on Virtual Reality for well-being, broadly construed. ‘Well-being’ refers to the general social, economic, psychological, spiritual, or medical positive condition of an individual or a group. This MRG will contribute to these aspects, either directly by having participants experience simulated conditions within virtual environments, or indirectly by exploiting the technological outputs of related VR projects. The first focus of VR WELL-BEING MRG will aim humans’ medical positive condition. More specifically, the MRG will address physical health (rehabilitation) and/or mental health. We will push the capabilities of VR beyond the limits of the current state-of-the-art, by exploiting VR to effectively change the real physical capabilities of the participants and allow for the novel exploration of how virtual worlds can impact physical reality. This will be done by exploiting brain plasticity and concepts and theories from social and cognitive sciences.
The successful candidate(s) will have the opportunity to conduct applied research in the aforementioned areas. The position holder will also participate in the preparation of research proposals for funding, project reports and deliverables, and travel abroad for dissemination activities. Furthermore, position holders should publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals and contribute to the research centre’s key performance indicators. The successful candidate(s) will work under the supervision of the Team Leader of the VR WELL-BEING MRG Dr Despina Michael-Grigoriou.
- Bachelor's degree and postgraduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. Interactive Media, Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Neuroscience (with VR expertise), Psychology (with VR expertise), Communication Studies (with VR expertise)) from an accredited institution
- Strong computer programming skills or/and excellent knowledge of a game engine (e.g. Unity) is a must
- Familiarization/knowledge of 3D modelling is a must
- Prior experience with VR technologies is a must
- Prior experience in experimental research (related to VR)/statistical analysis is a must
- Previous experience with biosignal acquisitions considered an advantage
- High-impact research publications on relevant topics (a must for PhD holders/an advantage for non-PhD holders)
- Previous grant-writing experience considered an advantage
- Previous relevant industrial experience will be considered an advantage
- Excellent knowledge of both spoken and written English
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates according to qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates should submit the following items via email to email@example.com and use the Email subject line: "Application:Research Associate VR Well-being"
- A cover letter which clearly specifies (i) employment availability date, (ii) part-time or/and full-time availability
- Description of their academic and research experiences as well as any relevant industrial experience where applicable (500 words maximum)
- A detailed CV
- Copies of degree certificates (BSc/MSc/PhD)
- Two representative publications (if applicable)
- Contact details of two referees, either two University professors or one University professor and one industry referee.
Note that if you previously applied for a post at RISE, a new application is required.
The deadline for applications is Friday, October 18, 2019.
For general inquiries,
applicants may contact the HR Department of the of the Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies at firstname.lastname@example.org
The applicants may address any technical or research related inquiries
to the VR for WELL BEING MRG team leader and the leader of the Visual Science Research Pillar of RISE, Dr Despina Michael-Grigoriou at email@example.com
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.