Deadline: 05 July. 2019
Location: RISE, Nicosia, Cyprus
Type: Full-time Employment
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies – RISE LTD (www.rise.org.cy) is a newly founded research centre of excellence in Nicosia, Cyprus. RISE LTD is a significant investment supported by the European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck Institute, University College London, the University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open University of Cyprus.
The Centre conducts excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial intelligence delivered by high-calibre multidisciplinary research teams. RISE engages in knowledge transfer and innovation activities aiming to bridge the gap between scientific research and STEM-led innovation and entrepreneurship.
The Centre is seeking a Makerspace Assistant to join its fast-growing team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals. She/he will play an essential role in ensuring the Centre’s Makerspace runs smoothly and trouble-free, providing general caretaking of the facility and equipment, and also assisting members where needed. As a Makerspace Assistant he/she must be organized, enthusiastic, and energetic, able to interact with others in a professional courteous manner.
RISE LTD is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
Main responsibilities include:
Desired qualifications & requirements
- Conduct tours of the Makerspace
- Teach safe operation of Makerspace tools to members age 12 to senior adult in both one-on-one and group teaching scenarios
- Monitor the Makerspace ensuring a safe work environment adherent to the Centre’s Health and Safety program including the proper usage of tools
- Assist members of all experience levels with their projects including
- Production techniques
- Tool selection
- Proper tool usage
- Selection of appropriate materials
- Follow RISE’s Emergency Action plan
- Manage the daily operation, maintenance, and organization of the Makerspace
- Maintain inventory and order consumables as needed
- Work special events as needed both onsite and offsite
Profile of the ideal candidate
- Demonstrated successful completion of maker projects is preferred
- Knowledge of 3D printing, scanning and modelling software (Solidworks, AutoDesk design suite, etc.) is preferred
- Experience with the following will be considered an advantage:
- Raspberry Pi
- Ability to determine cause of software problems and resolve or refer for maintenance and repair; able to answer any questions related to 3D printer/scanner problems
- Teaching/group demonstration experience (formal or informal) and experience working with children considered an advantage
- Ability to provide individual/small group instruction and ability to offer advice to and work closely with young inventors preferred
- Knowledge and experience using digital fabrication equipment (3D printer, laser cutter, CNC router) considered an advantage
- Drafting and/or mechanical drawing experience a plus
- Knowledge of woodworking, metalworking and machine shop equipment a plus
- Fluent in English and Greek (written and spoken); knowledge of Turkish will be considered an advantage;
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
- Technically or mechanically inclined and self-motivated with the ability to work under limited supervision
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Organized with the ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Reliable with patience and professionalism
- Demonstrable computer, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Good problem solving and time management skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Trustworthy and committed
Take advantage of this opportunity for your professional and personal development by being a part of our fast-growing Research Technology Development and Innovation Centre of Excellence. A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate according to qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates should submit the following items via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is the 5th of July 2019.
- Cover letter which clearly specifies availability date for full time employment.
- Full CV (including personal contact details).
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging Technologies at email@example.com
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.